Friday 24 October 2014

Still here, still learning...

Just not necessarily Russian! ;)

I hope this blog makes sense I have written it in bits and pieces, and it's kind of random.

I have been meaning to blog for quite a while. Over the summer my Russian learning (almost) ground to a halt. I signed up to babbel in an attempt to motivate myself, and also because I could use their app on my phone. And this did work a bit. It's easy to jump on for a few minutes and pick up where I left off, but I don't feel as if I'm progressing very much with it. I actually think my random approach to learning is not helping - I use a book, get distracted, use an online course (free or otherwise), get distracted, check facebook, then I might watch some youtube videos, maybe listen to a Russian radio station, perhaps go on memrise, but it's all kind of random and I'm not progressing. In turn this leads to frustration, which leads to me not bothering. I clearly need a better plan. I could really relate to this post at the blog to be fluent. This is me.

I have realised that I need to change my way of thinking, and think about my goals. Why am I learning Russian? What do I want to achieve? I read so many wonderful language blogs, which although fantastic and helpful sometimes make me feel like my measly efforts are just not worth it! This is my problem and not the lovely bloggers :) ...I decided that my goal actually isn't to be fluent. It would be great, but I don't think I have that all encompassing passion to learn Russian (or any language). What I do know is that I love languages, and learning about them. I love words. I have been on a bit of a Shakespeare kick recently (which has been one of the reasons my Russian got put to one side). Reading plays, going to the globe, studying a free futurelearn course, securing tickets to see Hamlet (yes, the one with Benedict Cumberbatch!!!!!!!) and so on. I also have a desire to learn Romanian and Arabic, as I plan future trips (in my head so far) to Morocco (as a volunteer) and Brasov (to work with Bears!). Most recently I visited the Language Show in London. I attended a Russian class, but my main reason for going was to find more information about teaching English as a foreign language (Celta/tefl/Trinity CERTtesol anyone?!). Other interests this summer included taking a counselling course, and an ongoing addiction to Homeland. Of course I also have 3 children, and partner who need my attention as well! 

I have so many thoughts, ideas, passions, and things I want to do I honestly pondered that I may have adhd. Then, I read a revealing, and oh so well timed blog post, about scanners. How I could relate, this is me! I am a scanner! This was a huge light-bulb moment! You can read more about scanners here.

So, how does this all relate to Russian. Well, I've come to some realisations. I decided that writing is down at the bottom of skills for me, as a borderline dyslexic I struggle with English spellings so you can imagine how I am at Russian! I love reading Russian, and of course speaking is very important (as is listening!) so these are the things I'm going to focus on. I would like to know enough so that when I return to Russia I can do things such as order a meal, ask directions, read signs, visit museums, and (maybe) take tours in Russian. Enough to have brief conversations. I won't be perfect, but will hopefully be understood! I would like to be able to read more in Russian, maybe even Shakespeare eventually (although starting with children's books!). Anything more would be great, but this is what I'm aiming for right now. Of course I'm going to get distracted and maybe take some diversions, and discover different passions, but I'm hoping I can keep my Russian going throughout all (most...) of that :) ...Now to make some decisions on how to go about it - what resources to use, what to get rid of,  and to try and stop buying Russian course books!



No comments:

Post a Comment